Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sibley Ephemera: History for Sale

I cruise eBay for fascinating bits and pieces of the seed business past that float to the surface with astonishing regularity. Because I am looking into Hiram Sibley I took another look today and found three interesting things!  One, admittedly, has nothing to do with Sibley but it relates to yesterday's post's participants.

This envelope was sent by Sibley and Co. to the U.S. Consul in Nagasaki, Japan!  Think, here it is on eBay...A.C. Jones left Japan by 1885.  Wish I knew what the letter was about.
Great envelope.



___________________________________________________________________

This next one documents selling to Sibley an item related to telegraph history for the Cornell collection.
(A transcript and notes from seller follow.)





Stephen Vail accepts an offer to place the very first telegraph machine in the Museum of Cornell University in this signed 1898 letter... and turns down an offer for the machine from Andrew Carnegie.

Autograph letter signed "Stephen Vail". 3 pages, 4¾x8 (1 page folded, front and verso), on Vail's personalized stationery. New York, New York, February 21, 1898. 


Addressed to Mr. W. E. Bull, Estate of Hiram Sibley, Rochester, New York. In full: 

"Dear sir: Upon my return to the city this morning, (having been away for a few days), I [illegible] yours of the 16th a-waiting for me, and I have just sent you a telegram advising you of its receipt, and of my sending you per express this [illegible] my scrapbook. in which I think you will find the [illegible] evidence of the authenticity of the instrument, which I am for [illegible] more than pleased has been deemed worthy of deposit, through the liberality of Mr. Sibley, in Cornell University, the most appropriate place for it. If you will acquaint me with Mr. Sibley's address. if any other than that of Rochester is advisable, I shall be glad to thank him for his response to my offer. As you may decide, I will, upon receipt of the information, direct the instrument to be sent from the National Museum to either Rochester or Ithaca. If to the latter please designate to whom it shall be addressed [illegible] Schuman or Director Thurston. It may not be improper for me to state that since the receipt of your letter this morning, I have had an offer of a larger amount for the instrument, but declined it for its deposit at Cornell, is much more desirable to me. I send enclosed herewith, a copy of the photograph of the instrument, which please present to Mr. Sibley, with my compliments, upon his return to this country. At your convenience, please return to me the scrapbook, and Memorial to Congress, and believe me very sincerely yours". 

"The instrument" is the first telegraph receiver on which the first telegraph message was sent. According to an included newspaper clipping, it was given to the Museum of Cornell University around 1898 by Hiram B. Sibley, who offered Vail $1,000 for it. The other offer that Vail writes about was a $5,000 one by Andrew Carnegie. 

Stephen Vail was the son of Alfred Vail, one of the partners of Samuel F.B. Morse. In 1837, Judge Stephen Vail, proprietor of the Speedwell Iron Works, Morristown, N.J., agreed to put up $2,000 if Morse would take on his son, Alfred. An agreement was entered into between them, with Vail supplying the money. The American patent was obtained on October 3, 1837, and young Vail, in secret quarters at the iron factory, worked upon the invention. It was Alfred Vail who worked out the final form of Morse's code, introduced the key, and reduced the machine to the final, compact form. And it was Vail who invented the printing telegraph that was patented in Morse's name. The instrument mentioned in his letter was the only existing one of the two devised by and constructed by his father, Alfred, the partner of Morse in the ownership of the patent for the Electric Telegraph, and used upon the first line of telegraph ever erected that built between Washington and Baltimore by the appropriation of $30,000 by the U.S. Congress.
______________________________________________________________________

Hiram Sibley Warehouse,315-331 North Clark Street,Chicago,Cook County,IL





 Now this one is Morse writing Dall.
He had a nice hand.  When did people stop using the "f" for "s"?


 "Saml F.B. Morse", 1p, 4¼x6½. Po'keepsie, 1856 June 2.

 To Henry P. Dall, Esq., Secretary of the Trimount Literary Association. In full:

 "Yours of 31st is received at the moment of my leaving home for Europe; but I am happy in the opportunity however slight, to give any gratification to the Officers & Members of your Association, especially when it can be accomplished by Simply assuring you of the respect & well wishes." 



No comments:

Post a Comment