Saturday, September 20, 2014

Architectural Vignettes on Seedsmen's Stationery and Other Stuff





Teeny, tiny printed worlds  are so appealing to very nearsighted children.  I remember slipping into the engravings on stamps, back when stamps were a tour de force of engravings of historical events.  My interest here is an echo from those days long gone. My eyes changed with age into the normal range for close objects...I mourn the loss of my microscope eyes!




Excellent Links:

Short Guide - Traditional Shopfronts - a concise,
well illustrated helpful introduction

                                                                                                                    Fantastically informative PDF by Robert Biggert,
Architectural Vignettes on Commercial Stationery 


The above image is also at the end of this post in full size so you can walk around better :-) It is in Germany. I wonder if this was to show English and American buyers the size of their firm.





 These two are from the Robert Biggert Collection at Columbia.







Above: Philadelphia then
Below: Now





No comments:

Post a Comment