Monday, October 27, 2014

1885 - Use of Pumpkin, from Lafcadio Hearn's Creole Cookbook



I've been a Lafcadio Hearn fan for decades.  This was a shocker...a Lafcadio Hearn creole cookbook!! I never knew about, or read, anything of his beyond the Japanese culture books. I  was interested in this man who loved Japan.  So I was taken aback by not having had a fuller picture of his work until I finally figured out why that was.  I had become enamored of his work before the internet.  Sheesh...

The pumpkin orange woodcut above is by Lafcadio Hearn.  It is from a very enjoyable piece about his life in the National Endowment for the Humanities magazine.  It was there I found out he believed in the strength of an image to communicate.  As an art teacher this makes me like him even more. The article explains why he was in the United States as well, and why he was attracted to New Orleans.  Fascinating man.  

The University Press of Mississippi's book, titled Inventing New Orleans: Writings of Lafcadio Hearn, brings together a selection of Hearn's nonfiction on New Orleans and Louisiana.


 Yum...he is so right.  Simple and so good.  I like his parting comment. :-)

What exactly is salt meat?  I asked the same thing...and found the answer here.

La Cuisine CreoleA Collection of Culinary Recipes from Leading Chefs and Noted Creole Housewives, who Have Made New Orleans Famous for Its Cuisine

No comments:

Post a Comment